Pineapple Pepper Slaw
Instead of boring lettuce and tomatoes, why not try Chef Irie’s sweet, crunchy and refreshing Pineapple Pepper Slaw? Made with a mix of hot and mild peppers, juicy pineapple bits, and an easy homemade vinaigrette. Try it with Chef Irie’s Trinidadian Chicken Pelau.
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 cups pineapple, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup red onions, finely julienned
- 1 cup anaheim peppers, sliced in rings
- 1 cup cubanelle peppers, sliced in rings
- ½ cup red pepper, julienned
- ½ cup yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 medium serrano pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 cup parsley leaves, no stems
- Light salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, place cubed pineapple, red onions and peppers. Season lightly with salt & pepper. Add the parsley leaves.
- In medium bowl, vinegar and citrus juices along with sugar, whisk until sugar dissolves. While whisking, start pouring the oil in a steady stream. Whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add some of the dressing over the salad and toss well to mix the ingredients. Adjust the seasoning if needed. Place salad in refrigerator to chill and set for about 15 minutes. Remove to serve. Cover and reserve remaining vinaigrette in the refrigerator.
- Try this recipe along with Chef Irie’s Pelau from Taste the Islands with Chef Irie (Season 1)