Throughout the Caribbean where coconut trees abound, each island has its own unique variations of coconut bread. This simple and sweet version with shredded coconut and cinnamon comes from St. Kitts and Nevis.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8″ x 4″ loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Lightly whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a separate, large bowl. Add sugar and coconut and stir until just combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
- Add melted butter and stir until mixture is just smooth (do not over-mix).
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes to cool, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve in thick slices.
Adapted from Nevis Blog