Grenadian Nutmeg Ice Cream
Flavorful and delightfully aromatic nutmeg is showcased in this velvety nutmeg ice cream from the “spice isle”, Grenada. For the best flavor, use freshly ground nutmeg.
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk and cream. When it begins to boil, turn off the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients. Whisk half a cup of the heated milk and cream into the egg mixture, and then pour that into the remainder of the milk mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken and reaches 175 degrees. Transfer the mixture to a metal bowl and set it in another, larger, bowl filled half way with ice and water. Stir until the cream is cold.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and finish according to manufacturer’s instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a freezer-safe dish and freeze, stirring vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer every 30 minutes until it is completely frozen (about 2 hours).
Adapted from Wanderlust and Lipstick