Jerk Chicken and Plantain Kebabs
This delectable recipe for jerk chicken and plantain kebabs comes from Guest Chef Mesha Welsh who was a culinary student at the time of its concoction. We shared the recipe image on social media and it quickly went viral. Now you too can try it at home and tell us what you think. With chicken made with Jerk Seasoning, ripe plantains, roasted corn, peppers, onions and spices, we think it’ll be a sensory overload!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 ripe plantain cut into 1″ slices (replace with sweet potato if preferred)
- 1 ear of corn cut into 1″ slices and halved
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1″ slices
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1″ slices
- 1 white onion cut into 1″ slices
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs powdered jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbs garlic powder
- Soak bamboo skewers for 30 minutes to an hour to avoid splintering
- Cut chicken into 2″ chunks and rinse with vinegar and lemon juice
- Add olive oil, powdered jerk seasoning, paprika, garlic powder and lime juice. Mix together and place in a container or plastic bag then place in the fridge to marinate for about an hour. Add salt after removing from fridge and combine.
- In an alternating pattern, onto the skewer slide red pepper, chicken, onion, green pepper, chicken, plantain (on the long side), onion, red pepper, chicken, corn (work gently through the soft spot between kernels and cob). Leave about 2 inches at top and bottom of skewer.
- Repeat for additional skewers.
- Squeeze additional lemon juice over the entire kebab to add flavor to corn, plantains and peppers. Sprinkle black pepper and additional jerk seasoning if desired.
- Grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until plantains are cooked through.
- To serve, garnish with bits of chopped parsley and scallions. Enjoy!