Tostones – Fried Green Plantains
Otherwise known as Fritos Verde, Tostones are an awesomely simple side and are loved by both the Spanish and English speaking Caribbean. Squashed, double fried to perfection and sprinkled with salt!
- 2 green (unripe) plantains
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel the plantains by cutting off the tips, scoring the skin lengthwise and prying the skin away from the flesh. Cut into 1″ slices.
- In hot oil, deep fry the plantain pieces until light golden brown on both sides, then remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Place the pieces flat side down on a cutting board or other flat surface, then use the bottom of a short drinking glass to press the plantains flat.
- Place flattened pieces back in oil for another minute or two until slightly darker, remove and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Try soaking the uncooked slices of green plantain in vinegar water for a few minutes before frying to maintain the light golden color of the tostones so they don’t become too dark as they fry.