Ripe Plantain & Cream Cheese Dip
The perfect pairing for your store bought or homemade Green Plantain Chips, or try it with pita bread or crunchy vegetables. You can’t go wrong with this thick, sweet creamy tropical dip.
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and sliced in 1” chunks
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup dark rum
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- A few cracks of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- Paprika for sprinkled garnish
- Set medium sauce pan with oil on medium heat. Get temperature to 350 deg.
- Place plantain chunks in oil in small batches and fry until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel to drain.
- Place ½ orange juice in bottom of blender then add cream cheese and half the plantains. Pour the rest of the liquid, sugar and add the spices. Pulse until ingredients come together, then add the remaining plantains and puree until smooth.
- Check for seasoning then transfer the dip to a nice bowl. Sprinkle with a little paprika for color.
- Arrange chips on a plate next to dip for guests.
- Frying thermometer
- If using a food processor, all ingredients can be added at same time. If too thick add a little more orange juice and perhaps a little more rum.