Jerk Chicken Wings
Jerk Chicken Wings are not a traditional Jamaican dish, but with the popularity of wings as an appetizer they’ve become a welcome addition to our cadre of delicious Jerk recipes. For this baked Jerk Chicken Wings recipe you can take the easy route and add a little salt and moist jerk seasoning. You can also make it all from scratch with this alternate recipe from Chef John. Great for Father’s Day or any event where you need an island inspired app.
Prep Time 15 hr
Cook Time 1 hr
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 lb chicken wings
- Cooking spray
- Put yellow and green onions, garlic, habanero peppers, fresh thyme, kosher salt, black pepper, allspice, dried thyme, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, vegetable oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place wings into a large bowl, then cover in marinade and toss to coat completely. Keep some marinade untouched by the wings so it remains uncontaminated for dipping. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Place greased aluminum foil onto a baking sheet.
- Place wings onto baking sheet and reserve remaining marinade for basting.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Brush marinade onto wings. Turn over and bake another 15 minutes.
- Brush on remaining marinade. Bake until tender and caramelized (another 10 to 15 minutes).
- A thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165°F (74°C).