Jamaican Rice and Peas – A Traditional Favorite
Cook Time 30 mins
- 1 medium sized can red kidney beans
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (whole, do not chop up)
- Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup
- Add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid.
- Place liquids in a pot with beans, onions, garlic, thyme and oil, bring to a boil.
- Add rice and stir for a minute.
- Reduce heat to Medium-Low.
- Place scotch bonnet pepper on top of liquid and cover tightly for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Remove scotch bonnet pepper before serving.
- This recipe can also be made using other peas.