Jamaican Oxtail – A Delicious Tradition
Oxtail is one of Jamaica’s most revered types of soul food. Jamaican Oxtail is well seasoned and cooked for multiple hours until the tender meat falls off the bone.
- 2lbs of oxtail
- 1 tin of broad beans
- 5 cups of water
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 scallion
- 1/2 a scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/2 lb of carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp of allspice
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- Chop the scallion, scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, onion, tomato, carrot and thyme
- Season the oxtail with scallion, scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, thyme, allspice, salt and pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours
- Fry the oxtail and seasoning in a tablespoon of oil for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the water, onion, tomato and carrot, turn down the heat and simmer the pot until the oxtail has softened (about three hours), stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and simmer for a further 30 minutes