Brown Stew Chicken – Caribbean Brown Stewed Chicken
Caribbean Brown Stewed Chicken or “Brown Stew Chicken”, an extremely well-seasoned dish is often fall-off-the-bone tender. It is served for brunch, lunch or dinner as Jamaicans like to have a meal that “holds you” for hours. Try it with Rice and Peas or Fried Dumplings.
3lbs chicken, cut in pieces and skin removed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalk scallion (white part only), chopped
- 1/2 cup cooking oil (for frying chicken)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 each, red and green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
Tip: Wash the chicken and make sure to dry it with paper towel to remove any water before frying.
- Season chicken with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic and scallion (green onion).
- Marinate the chicken overnight or at least one hour before frying.
- Remove scallion from chicken and, on High heat, fry the chicken in cooking oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Remove half the cooking oil in pan and use remaining oil to fry onions and bell peppers until onions are transparent.
- Add thyme, hot pepper sauce, tomato ketchup and 1 cup of hot water to pan and stir
- Taste gravy and add 1 tsp of salt, if needed; let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken to gravy.
- Add 1 cup of hot water and turn heat to Low and cover pan.
- Simmer chicken for 30 minutes or until it is tender and the gravy has thickened.
- Enjoy your delicious Caribbean Brown Stew Chicken with rice and peas, white rice, salad and/or fried plantains.