Curry and garlic spiced split-pea flour dough is deep-fried in this recipe to form light and airy puffs, or Pholourie, a Trinidadian treat for any occasion, casual or festive. Drizzle with a tamarind glaze, or serve alongside a mango chutney dipping sauce for an authentic spicy-sweet experience.
- 2 cups split pea powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. saffron powder (or 2 tsp. curry powder)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Cooking oil, for deep frying
- Combine all of the ingredients, the except water.
- Add just enough water to form a thick batter. Stir, then let rest for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in heavy pot over high heat.
- Drop batter, a teaspoon at a time into the hot oil, and cook until golden brown and puffy.
- Serve with a thin fruit chutney sauce or a peppery tamarind sauce.