Chiquetaille de Morue – Haitian Recipe
Chiquetaille (pronounced “shi-tie”) de Morue, a popular Haitian appetizer, is refreshing, colorful, and tasty. Flaked codfish is mixed with a peppery and mouth-puckering vinaigrette, for a light but authentic taste of the Caribbean.
- 1 lb salted codfish
- 1 stalk scallion, finely chopped
- 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh hot pepper, chopped (Habanero or Scotch Bonnet)
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Thoroughly rinse the codfish then place it in a large bowl of water. Allow to soak for a few hours. Cut the fish into large pieces, then boil in fresh water for 5 minutes. Discard the water and repeat the boiling process to remove excess salt.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Shred codfish into small pieces and add it to the bowl, then stir. Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot or cool.