Chicharrón de Pollo (Puerto Rican Fried Chicken)
Chicharrón de Pollo is fried chicken, Puerto Rican style. Chicken legs are breaded in flour with garlic, oregano, and achiote seasoning and then deep fried until golden and crispy. Enjoy these with warm tostones or rice and beans.
- 2 lbs chicken leg quarters (4-5 leg quarters)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp seasoning with achiote, optional
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
- Cut the pieces of chicken in half and trim excess fat without removing the skin. Rinse the chicken and make sure that there are no small slivers of bone. Place the chicken in a bowl.
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients (except the oil for frying) and pour over the chicken. Toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or electric fryer over medium heat. Fry the chicken in small batches on both sides until golden. Place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with tostones or white rice and beans.
Adapted from Qué Rica Vida