Fricase de Pollo (Cuban Stewed Chicken)
Fricase de Pollo is a mouthwatering Cuban dish of tender chicken in a stew of vegetables, tomato sauce, broth, wine, herbs, and spices. Fricase de Pollo is traditionally made with a whole chicken, but this recipe with chicken breast is a lot quicker to make and just as good! Comforting potato and carrot contrast with pimento-stuffed green olives for a well rounded dish that hits every taste bud.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless Chicken Breast, cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. chopped Cilantro
- 1 tsp. dried Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup Vino Seco or Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 large Baking Potato, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 Carrots, peeled and sliced crosswise in 1/2″ pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Pimento-Stuffed Green Olives
- Combine the chicken, lime juice, garlic, and cumin and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, cilantro, oregano, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft, but not brown.
- Stir in the marinated chicken and cook for 3 minutes, or until the chicken turns white on the outside.
- Add the wine and tomato puree, increase the burner to high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken broth, potato, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in center, the potatoes and carrots are tender, and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot with rice.