Chef Irie’s Jerk Pork Medallions
Try Chef Irie’s Jerk Pork Medallions for a mix of spicy and sweet flavor. This is a great entree to throw on the grill if you love outdoor cooking, or like chef suggests, get a grill pan and get it done inside. Serve with Chef’s Herb Apple Salad and top with his Homemade Mango Chutney. If you’re feeling a little lazy, get the store bought versions of Jerk Seasoning and Mango Chutney. We won’t tell 🙂
Bonus Tip: Here’s an infographic we found that can help you to determine how long and at what temperatures to grill your meats and veggies. Enjoy!
Whole pork loin
FOR THE JERK SAUCE
- 1 small red pepper cut into squares
- 1 small green pepper cut into squares
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-5 scotch bonnet peppers chopped
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped thyme on the stem
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 4-6 stalks of chopped green onions
- Half a bunch of cilantro (optional)
- Remove silver skin from pork loin and cut loin into one inch medallions. Place in bowl.
- Use one scotch bonnet pepper for mild flavor and add one by one to dial up the heat.
- Blend jerk ingredients together until completely pulverized.
- Pour the jerk sauce over the pork loins, thoroughly covering the meat with the sauce, and allow to marinate for at least twenty minutes but preferably overnight.
- Lightly wipe or spray grill pan or grill with oil and allow to get to high heat.
- Scrape large chunks of seasoning off of pork medallions to minimize burning before adding to hot grill pan or grill.
- Add only a few cuts of pork at a time so as not to bring down the temperature of the grill or grill pan. For crisscross pattern, after about a minute turn the pork 90 degrees on the side first cooked.
- Cook for a total of 3 to 4 minutes on each side. You’ll know it’s cooked when there’s only a slight strip of bright pink left in the middle. Then remove from heat and allow to finish cooking internally on its own. Leave it too long and it may become rubbery.
- Slice and serve over rice or herb apple salad. Smother with mango chutney to balance heat with sweetness.
- Do not touch your skin, eyes or other sensitive body part after touching peppers!!! If contact occurs, wash for a few minutes with cold water or milk.