Puerto Rican Guanimes (Plantain Rolls)
Puerto Rican Guanimes are a type of sweet and savory dumpling. In this recipe, green plantains, coconut milk, and sugar are combined to form the dumplings, which are wrapped in plantain leaves and boiled in chicken broth. Guanimes make for a convenient snack or flavorful side dish.
- 3 green plantains
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Plantain leaves
- Chicken broth (optional)
- Peel the plantains and place them in a bowl of water. Allow to soak for 30 minutes, rinse, and pat dry. Grate into a paste.
- In a bowl combine the grated plantains, coconut milk, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Roll the mixture into log-shapes that are no larger than 1″ thick x 5″ long.
- Cut the plantain leaves into 7″ squares. Place the plantain rolls on the leaves, fold the sides, and tie with cooking twine.
- Simmer in water (or chicken broth if preferred) for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Drain and serve.