Poule en Sauce (Haitian Stewed Chicken)
Poule en Sauce is a staple of Haitian cuisine. This delicious dish of tender stewed chicken with garlic, onion, peppers, and spices is easy enough to throw together on a weeknight. Serve with rice for a satisfying family dinner.
- 1 Medium Chicken, cut in pieces, or 6 Whole Chicken Thighs
- 1 Lime or Lemon, cut in half
- Garlic, chopped, to taste
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Ground Cloves, to taste
- 4-5 tbsp. Oil
- 1 Large Onion, sliced in rounds
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, sliced
- 1/3 cup Tomato Paste
- 3/4 cups Water
- 1 Hot Pepper, whole (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse the chicken under cool water, rub with the lemon or lime, and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces on each side for a short time, just until golden brown.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a large ovenproof pan and sprinkle over the onions and bell peppers.
- In a small bowl combine the garlic, tomato paste, water and a pinch or two of ground cloves and mix well. Taste and add more seasoning if desired. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Add the hot pepper if desired.
- Bake uncovered for at least 45 minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve hot with a side of rice.