Mussels Chorizo in Mango Coconut Sauce
Mussels Chorizo in Mango Coconut Sauce is one of Chef Irie’s signature dishes.
- 3 tbsp canola oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 2 clove diced garlic
- 1/4 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup diced red and green peppers
- 2 tsp diced jalapenos
- 1 tsp diced scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 links firm chorizo, casing removed and diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 – 2 lbs fresh mussels
- 1 cup sauvignon blanc wine
- 1/4 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Rustic bread or baguette bread, sliced and toasted
- Prepare the mussels washing them and removing any visible beard. check for live and dead mussels. tap them on edge of bowl. If they are open and then close they are good. If they stay open toss them.
- Add oil to saute pan on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger and saute for 1 minute then add the peppers and cumin seeds. Saute for 2 minutes then add chorizo and thyme and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, stir the pan and add the mango and tomatoes. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Cook until all the mussels have opened, 3-5 minutes then add the coconut milk and lemon zest. Cover again for another 2-3 minutes then add butter, pepper and cilantro. Stir the pan and remove from heat.
- Put mussels in bowl and add toasted bread slice atop the mussels and serve.