Guava Cream Cheese Phyllo Tartlets
A Greek inspired spin on a Latin American favorite. Guava Cheese Pasteles become Guava Cream Cheese Phyllo Tartletts.
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 lb guava paste
- 1 lb softened cream cheese
- 4 tbsp dark caribbean rum
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
- Julienned basil for garnish
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°
FOR TART SHELLS
- Take one sheet of phyllo and brush butter over it.
- Repeat this process twice more and stack the three sheets together
- Repeat the entire process for the remaining 3 sheets to create another 3 sheet stack
- Sprinkle the sugar on the top sheet then cut into 4″ x 4″ squares
- Tuck each square into a regular muffin pan to form a pocket
- Place in a 375° oven for 5 – 8 minutes or until phyllo dough is lightly golden brown
- Remove from oven to cool
FOR MOUSSE FILLING
- In countertop mixer, whip softened cream cheese until fluffy
- Add guava paste, orange juice, rum and cinnamon and puree until smooth
- Place in a bowl and store in refrigerator to chill
- Scoop portion size into phyllo crisp and garnish with basil
- Taste for rum content and sweetness and adjust rum and sugar accordingly.
- Watch phyllo dough closely in oven as it takes only a few minutes to brown.