Chef Irie’s Shrimp Bisque
Chef Irie’s Shrimp Bisque was featured in Season 1, Episode 4 of “Taste the Islands”. It is not a traditional bisque, which usually more like a “cream of” one ingredient or another. Chef Irie’s version is a creamy, spicy bisque with other surprising elements like thick, smoked bacon, curry powder, ginger and red onion. The flavor is pretty hard to describe, but amazing to enjoy. Enjoy!
- 10-15 large shrimp, raw
- ⅔ cup smoked bacon, diced
- ½ cup carrots, sliced
- ⅓ cup whole kernel corn
- ¼ cup red bell peppers, diced
- ¼ cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely minced
- 4-6 large basil leaves
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, minced
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 4 cups warm vegetable or chicken stock
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, ginger, scotch bonnet, garlic and thyme. Saute until onions are translucent, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add curry powder, bacon, carrots, corn, peppers to onions in pan. Stir until heated through.
- Add salt and flour and continue stirring for about a minute.
- Add warm stock to mixture while stirring. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, shrimp and whole basil leaves.
- Reduce to low heat, simmer for another 5 minutes, or until shrimp has turned bright pink. Serve hot.