Puerto Rican Mofongo
Made with mashed green plantains, crumbled bacon and lots of garlic, every bite of this tantalizing trifecta called Puerto Rican Mofongo is a mouth full of awesome!
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 5 min
Total Time 15 min
- 3 green plantains
- 6oz bacon bits or crushed pork rinds
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel the plantain by cutting of the tips, scoring the skins lengthwise and prying the skins away. Then cut into one inch rounds.
- Deep fry the plantains in hot oil until golden and tender. This will take approximately 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove cooked plantain from the fryer and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Put the garlic paste in a mixing bowl and then add fried plantains. Mash until thoroughly blended.
- Add the cooked bacon bits and continue to mash and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- To serve, divide the mofongo into 4 equal portions, then use a small bowl as a mold. Shape into domes, turn over onto a small plate, garnish with additional bacon bits and serve. Enjoy!