Pen Patat (Haitian Sweet Potato Pudding)
Pen Patat is a Haitian sweet potato pudding made with boniatos (a purple-skinned, white-fleshed caribbean sweet potato) bananas, sugar, spices and butter. This thick and hearty dessert is great hot or cold, and goes well with breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s great on its own but also goes very well with ice cream.
- 2 1/2 lbs boniatos, peeled and grated
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled & mashed
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients except for the raisins and sugar. Mix well.
- Add sweet potato mixture and sugar to a medium sized pot over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring continuously, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately transfer into two greased 11″ x 13″ baking dishes, making sure to spread them evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow pudding to cool. Cut into individual serving squares, or use cookie cutters for more interesting shapes.
- Serve as is or with vanilla ice cream.