Pan de Coco (Coconut Bread)
A very popular Honduran treat, Pan de Coco is a coconut stuffed yeast roll that is enjoyed as a snack, side dish bonus or as accompaniment to tea or other hot beverages. Go loco for some Pan de Coco!
FOR THE DOUGH
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pouch rapid rise yeast
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- Extra flour for kneading
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. softened butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tbsp. sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. Stir and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, egg yolks and salt and mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture and mix.
- Add flour gradually until dough is moderately stiff.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes or until smooth & elastic.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and leave in a warm place for at least an hour to rise.
- While waiting, combine all filling ingredients together and set aside.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a log, then slice into equal circles.
- Flatten each circle with a rolling pin, place about 1 tbsp. of filling in the middle, gather sides, pinch together, and twist.
- Place all the shaped dough (pinched side down) on a lightly greased baking sheet or tray lined with wax paper.
- Cover the tray with a damp cloth and set aside for 20-30 minutes to rise.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bake the shaped dough for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!