Cream Cheese Guava Pastelitos
Cream cheese and guava paste are baked into puff pastries to make Cream Cheese Guava Pastelitos, a Cuban breakfast pastry. The smooth, mild flavor of cream cheese balances with the sweetness of the guava paste for a pastry that is flavorful and not-too-sweet. With only a few ingredients, these are quick and easy enough to bake fresh in the morning!
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry, thawed
- 6-8 oz. Guava Paste
- 6-8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. Lime Zest, optional
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp. Caster Sugar or Granulated Sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet or cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and lime zest until smooth. Set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry sheets and cut each sheet into six 3″ by 4″ pieces.
- Divide the guava paste into 12 equal pieces. Place each piece in the center of a pastry sheet.
- Scoop a rounded tablespoon (about one and a half tablespoons) of cream cheese filling next to each piece of guava paste. Leave a little room around the edges.
- Fold over each pastry sheet and gently press the edges with fingers to seal them, then carefully press with a fork along the edges.
- Place the pastries on the baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Serve Cream Cheese Guava Pastelitos with Cuban Cafecito for breakfast.