Coconut Flan – Unique Texture and Taste
Latin American style Coconut Flan is a simple, gelatinous dessert that incorporates 3 types of milk (evaporated, sweetened condense and whole) to deliver a dense package of creamy sweetness. With only 6 ingredients including delicious coconut, a recipe couldn’t be easier or tastier!
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 1 hr
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place 1 cup of the sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook gently, without stirring, but shaking occasionally until the sugar has melted and turned into a golden brown caramel. Pour into a large, glass baking dish. Spread the caramel evenly over the bottom of the dish, then set aside to cool for 15 minutes before proceeding.
- Once the caramel has hardened, pour the condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk, eggs, remaining 1/2 of cup sugar, and coconut into a blender. Blend for 3 minutes until smooth. Pour into baking dish over the caramel.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes until set. When done, remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the dish to separate the flan from the sides. Refrigerate overnight.
- If you use smaller glass baking dishes for individual servings, reduce baking time to 35 minutes.