Amarillitos (Puerto Rican Sweet Fried Plantains)
Ripe, sweet fried plantains are a simple, traditional side dish served throughout the Caribbean islands. The Puerto Rican version, called amarillitos, is distinguished by the plantain’s diagonal cuts. Pair them with almost any savory dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
- 4 Ripe Yellow Plantains
- Oil for frying
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Peel the plantains and cut each into three large segments. Slice each segment diagonally lengthwise, for a total of 6 slices per plantain.
- Deep fry slices over medium-high heat until golden brown, turning a few times to ensure they’re cooked evenly.
- Carefully remove plantains from the pan and place on paper towels to drain and cool.
- Season with a little salt. Serve hot.