Polvorones (Puerto Rican Shortbread Cookies)
Polvorones are soft and crumbly shortbread cookies that melt in your mouth. They’re popular throughout Latin America, Spain, and the Philippines, with variations from country to country. This Puerto Rican version with almond extract is simple but delicious.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat the butter, shortening, and sugar with a mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the salt and vanilla and almonds extracts. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour slowly and mix until combined.
- Using your hands or a scoop, form small balls (about 1 tablespoon each). Place on a large cookie sheet spaced about 1″ apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until done. The bottom of the cookies should be golden, but they should be pale on top.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Hubpages.