Green Banana Porridge
A Jamaican tradition, Green Banana Porridge is made with firm, unripe bananas which are not-very-sweet. However, when incorporated with milk and spices, then simmered to piping perfection, the resulting porridge is deliciously warm, creamy, flavorful, and a very satisfying morning meal.
- 5-6 green bananas
- 2 cups milk (or substitute 1/2 cup coconut milk for richer taste)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder or 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, or to taste
- Peel green bananas, chop each into 3 or 4 large pieces.
- Blend the bananas, 1 cup of milk, and 1 cup of water until smooth.
- Pour the banana mixture into a pot and place over medium-high heat.
- Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt until seasonings are well distributed.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring for about 15 minutes, until the porridge thickens.
- If needed, heat remaining 1 cup of milk and add slowly to pot until you reach your desired consistency
- Add vanilla,and sweeten with condensed milk to taste