Cream of Pumpkin Soup – Jamaican Style
Cream of Pumpkin soup Jamaican style is a smooth, rich, mildly flavored milk based soup served warm without any frills required. Serve it to start off a gourmet meal or in a large bowl with a dinner roll on the side.
- 1lb pumpkin
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- Cut the pumpkin into 2″ – 3″ squares and boil until tender – this should take about 20 minutes.
- Blend until the pumpkin becomes a smooth puree.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat and fry the diced onions until translucent. Add the flour, salt and pepper to the pan and stir.
- Slowly stir in the milk with a wooden spoon, adding a little at a time. If you add the milk too quickly it will not mix properly. The mixture will be ready once it is thick enough to coat your spoon.
- Add the pumpkin puree and stir in to the mix. Keep stirring until the entire batch of soup is hot. Serve in a cup or bowl.