Arroz con Dulce (Rice Pudding)
Arroz Con Dulce, or Rice Pudding, is a sweet Puerto Rican dessert made with rice, coconut cream, raisins, and spices. This creamy and sweet treat is traditionally prepared throughout the Christmas and New Years holidays, however many enjoy it year-round.
- 1 ½ cups Medium Grain White Rice
- 6 whole Cloves
- 1″ fresh Ginger, peeled
- 1 whole Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 14 oz. can Coconut Cream
- ½ cup Raisins
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Ground Cinnamon, to taste (optional)
- Berries (optional)
- Add the rice to a medium bowl and pour over enough cold water to cover it by two inches. Allow the rice to soak for one hour, the strain the rice and set it aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 4 cups water, the cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to fish out the cloves, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Add the coconut cream to the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and raisins. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes (or until rice is tender and any excess liquid has been absorbed).
- Transfer the rice pudding into a large pan, and allow to cool in the refrigerator.
- Serve as is, or with whipped cream, cinnamon and/or berries.
Adapted from San Juan Food Tours.